PLEASE NOTE: This product does not qualify for free domestic shipping.
Mission Darkness BlockBox Lab XL - RF Enclosure for Mobile Device Analysis
The Mission Darkness™ BlockBox Lab XL offers the ultimate radio frequency (RF) shielding and hands-on accessibility for electronic device forensics investigations. The heavy-duty forensic analysis enclosure is designed specifically for investigating devices such as cell phones, tablets, laptops, and similar size electronics while remaining shielded from RF signals. The extra large interior dimensions make it easy for operators to comfortably analyze devices, as well as transfer devices in and out of faraday bags inside of the shielded chamber.
It is constructed with a durable aluminum frame with RF absorbent foam lining the inside walls, conductive gloves for both hands to operate and interrogate devices inside (including touch screens), patent pending Gen 2 RF-FilterVu transparent viewing window, two LED arrays, power strip with four universal power ports and four USB ports, and a dual-sided shielded filter with RJ45 ethernet and two USB ports for extracting data at high speeds. The RJ45 port lets an operator connect devices inside the faraday chamber to a local network internally, as well as connect to a charging source, computer, or data extraction tool externally. The combined features allows forensic investigators to thoroughly analyze data on devices while preventing any signal from reaching or leaving the device. The ability to keep devices charged indefinitely prevents lockout mode and reduces the amount of time needed to break a passcode, enabling the maximum amount of data extraction and unlocking with tools like GrayKey, Cellebrite, XRY, BlackBag, Oxygen, etc.
The BlockBox Lab XL completely isolates devices inside and blocks WiFi (2.4 & 5GHz), Bluetooth, cell signals including 5G networks, GPS, RFID, and radio signals. It has been lab tested and certified to shielding effectiveness standards IEEE 299-2006. Although designed for lab use, the light weight of the BlockBox Lab XL and strong side handles allow it to be transported to different locations. The comprehensive accessory kit includes a set of replacement gloves and foam seals (since these items can wear out over time due to frequent/improper use or storage), which can be easily installed on-site without having to send the entire unit out for repair. The kit also comes with a variety of Mission Darkness NeoLok Faraday Bags with a patented magnetic closure, making it safe to use with conductive gloves in forensics investigations.
Alternative uses for the BlockBox Lab XL relate to mobile device testing, since the product can be used to create an isolated and controlled environment. An additional RJ45 ethernet port can be installed if necessary (see details below).
Equipped with two LED arrays, shielded filter, universal power strip, viewing window, and conductive gloves
Extra large interior dimensions allows the user to comfortably operate devices inside, including laptops
BlockBox Lab XL Features
- Lab forensic analysis enclosure for operating devices and extracting information while shielded from RF signals
- Certified to shielding effectiveness standards IEEE 299-2006
- Extra large interior space - fits multiple cell phones, tablets, laptops, and similar size devices
- Dual-sided shielded filter with two USB ports, one AC port, and one RJ45 ethernet port
- Shielded AC power strip for powering multiple devices internally - includes four universal power outlets and four USB outlets
- High-speed data extraction and connectivity
- Indefinite power capabilities to prevent lockout mode and reduce the amount of time needed to break a passcode, enabling the maximum amount of data extraction and unlocking with tools like GrayKey, Cellebrite, XRY, BlackBag, Oxygen, etc.
- Completely isolates devices - blocks WiFi (2.4 & 5GHz), Bluetooth, cell signals including 5G networks, GPS, RFID, NFC, and radio signals
- Built-in conductive gloves for left and right hands-on touch plus a set of replacement gloves
- Patent pending Gen 2 RF-FilterVu RF shielded transparent window on top for viewing devices (upgraded clarity = 25% more clear than standard size BlockBox Lab window)
- Two LED arrays for illuminating interior space
- RF absorbent foam liner on all interior sides
- Durable outer aluminum casting with black coating
- Replacement foam gasket seals with adhesive backing
- Dual easy release latch system
- Piston hinge gas filled cover strut
- Temperature range: +14°F (-10°C) to +122°F (+50°C)
- Two metal side handles for easy carry
- Designed and assembled in the USA
- Lab forensic analysis
- State, local, federal, and military forensics
- Mobile device/IOT testing and signal isolation
- Anti-hacking, anti-tracking, and anti-spying assurance
- Faraday bag transfer chamber
- EMP and CME protection
- Use with data extraction and unlocking with tools like GrayKey, Cellebrite, XRY, BlackBag, Oxygen, etc.
- Mission Darkness BlockBox Lab XL
- Multiple styles of Mission Darkness Faraday Bags (SKUs: MDFB-S-NW-M, MDFB-M-NW-M, MDFB-L-NW)
- Unique serial number sticker
- Two USB A/M to A/M cables
- Ethernet cable
- AC power cable
- Set of replacement gloves
- Set of replacement foam seals
- Two stylus pens
- Instruction card
- Additional add-on accessories are listed below
- External dimensions: 24”L x 18”W x 16.5”H (60.96cm x 45.72cm x 41.91cm)
- Internal usable dimensions: 22.75”L x 17”W x 12.5”H (57.79cm x 43.18cm x 31.75cm)
- RF-FilterVu window dimensions: 9.5"L x 3.5"W (24.13cm X 8.89cm)
Shielded Filter & Cable Details
The shielded filter installed through the box enables dual sided device connectivity. Purchase the USB cable set add-on if needed to connect to devices internally. *If you are using your own cables (not ones we provided), be aware that all cables used both within and outside of the analysis enclosure need to be SHIELDED to effectively block RF signals.
Contact us if you have customization requests or particular requirements that are not included in this product configuration. Some alterations may be possible, including adding an additional RJ45 ethernet port (+ $350). Additional add-on options are listed below. Let us know your requirements so that we can quote you accordingly.
Compatible With Faraday Bags
A user can safely transfer seized or collected devices from individual faraday bags to the BlockBox Lab XL while maintaining RF shielding. Once the lid is closed, the bag can be opened inside. Mission Darkness NeoLok faraday bags with a magnetic closure (like the bags included in the kit) are preferred for use with conductive gloves because they eliminate the risk of puncturing a glove with scissors (often used to cut a faraday bag open) or harsh Velcro (used in most standard faraday bag closures).
Scroll down to see more details about using the BlockBox Lab XL as a transfer chamber.
These additional options should be considered at the time of purchase, and are priced accordingly. For current customers of the BlockBox Lab XL, please contact us for specifics on option pricing.
Additional Gloves and Seals Set
Camera Mount and SLR Camera
Set includes Lightning, USB Micro, USB-C, USB Extension, USB A/M to A/M cables for connecting devices to the USB ports internally.
Expedited Lead Time
Extended One Year Warranty
Video Call Training Session
Video Demonstration of the BlockBox Lab XL
- Easy release latch system ensures a tight RF seal
- Built-in conductive gloves for operating touch screens
- Interior view showing a device connected to a USB outlet
- AC power strip includes four universal power outlets and four USB outlets
- Dual-sided shielded filter with two USB ports, one AC port, and one RJ45 ethernet port
- Patent pending Gen 2 RF-FilterVu slanted window on top for viewing devices
Use With Forensics Tools, Like Cellebrite and GrayKey
The BlockBox Lab XL is the premier multifunctional analysis enclosure in the BlockBox forensics series. It is regarded as an essential product in any forensics lab that conducts mobile device investigations. In additional to offering an isolated environment, the various filter ports allow a user to operate, charge, interrogate, and conduct triage on multiple devices. The ability to charge indefinitely prevents lockout mode and reduces the amount of time needed to break a passcode, enabling the maximum amount of data extraction and unlocking with tools like GrayKey, Cellebrite, XRY, BlackBag, Oxygen, etc. The details below provide a basic overview of how to use the BlcokBox Lab XL with a few forensics tools.
The BlockBox Lab (standard, smaller version) pictured with Cellebrite
If a Device Arrives to the Lab Inside a Faraday Bag:
- Place the closed faraday bag inside of the BlockBox Lab XL, along with any necessary extraction tools or cables, and close the lid. Open the bag using the conductive gloves and remove the device. Connect the device internally to the power outlet, extraction tool, etc. if desired.
If Using With Cellebrite or Related Extraction Tool:
- Place the device inside of the powered BlockBox Lab XL and connect it to the USB filter internally using a compatible cable tip. Connect an extraction tool directly to the outer USB filter on the opposite side, then use as directed.
If Using with GrayKey:
- Make sure the outer filter cables are connected. Place the GrayKey unit inside of the powered lab and connect it to the inner RJ45 ethernet port, as well as the power outlet. Connect the device to GrayKey and use the tool as directed.
*Note that further instructions for use with forensics tools will depend on the specific tool itself and the scenario. Additional forensics tools and corresponding cables are not provided.
How to Use the BlockBox Lab XL as a Faraday Bag Transfer Chamber
If a device arrives to the police station, lab, etc. in a standard faraday bag, it can be transferred to a different or more specialized faraday bag, like the Mission Darkness Charge & Shield Faraday Bag (or visa versa), using the BlockBox Lab XL as an RF shielded transfer chamber.
- Simply place both bags inside the BlockBox Lab XL, close the lid, and open the faraday bags internally using the conductive gloves. Once the device is transferred and properly sealed in the new bag, the lid can open, and the shielded device can be moved to another location.
- This process ensures that the device is never exposed to RF signals and allows users to keep the BlockBox Lab XL vacant for more serious forensics investigation uses.
- *When selecting faraday bags for your department, keep in mind that faraday bags with a NeoLok magnetic closure are preferred when being handled by conductive gloves.
Pictured with the BlockBox Lab (standard, smaller version)
The signal blocking strength of this box is phenomenal. The window lets you see when signals are blocked - which happens immediately after a phone is introduced. There are two versions of the product, we went with the RJ-45 so we could put tools inside. Overall this is a very nice kit with extra items included.
My department is very satisfied with the BlockBox Lab. We've used other RF shielding boxes is the past which have worn down over time, then cost a ton to have parts replaced. We switched over because this product offers the same functionality AND includes replacement gloves and foam seals, which will extend the lifespan. We're able to charge, extract data, and interrogate devices while they remain shielded/isolated.