To effectively access and recover data from cell phones, tablets, and similar electronics, the latest forensic tools require devices to stay live. The Mission Darkness™ Charge & Shield Faraday Bag is designed to keep a device powered while shielded from RF signals. Each bag includes a dual sided USB filter, NeoLok™ closure system for safe use with conductive gloves, transparent window to view battery life and device status, and a variety of phone charging cables. The unique charging feature prevents lockout mode and reduces the amount of time needed to break a passcode, enabling the maximum amount of data extraction and unlocking with tools like GrayKey, Cellebrite, XRY, BlackBag, Oxygen, etc.
KEEP DEVICES SHIELDED AND LIVE
From Seizure to Evidence Storage to Data Extraction
Shield and Charge in the Field or the Lab
The Charge & Shield Faraday Bag can be used independently or with our Blocker Locker™ system (described below). The shielded USB filter and cable kit enables the device to connect to any rechargeable battery or permanent power source, ensuring that power is never compromised. A device inside can receive power while it is transferred throughout various locations such as a vehicle, charging bank, evidence cabinet, or stationed at a desk with a power outlet, until it can be analyzed in a different location. The user can view device status through the transparent window to confirm that the battery is charged and signal is cutoff. For data extraction, the user simply disconnects the power source and connects to an extraction tool. The bag can be placed in a shielded box and the device inside transferred for shielded data extraction.
If Using with the Blocker Locker™
When Charge & Shield Faraday Bags are used in conjunction with the Mission Darkness Blocker Locker 7™ - Charge & Shield Evidence Cabinet, devices remain securely locked, shielded from RF signals, and charged at all times. The Blocker Locker comes equipped with a Charge & Shield Faraday Bag in each locker compartment. The customized shielding system enables proper processing during each stage in custody, from device intake to interrogation.
When using with the Blocker Locker, simply place a device inside the Charge & Shield Faraday Bag, connect the device to the inner side of the USB filter, close the bag, then connect the outer side of the USB filter to the power outlet inside the individual cabinet compartment. To extract data from a device, unlock the compartment, disconnect the power cord, remove the Charge & Shield Faraday Bag, and transfer it into a forensic faraday box, like the Mission Darkness BlockBox Lab. The bag can be easily opened inside the box (the magnetic NeoLok closure reduces faraday glove abrasion) while the device is passed into the shielded enclosure. Shielding and power are never compromised, providing a seamless process for investigators.
Video Demonstration of the Charge & Shield Faraday Bag
The device connects to power through the Charge & Shield Faraday Bag via shielded USB A/M to A/M cable
Instructional sticker printed on front of the Blocker Locker demonstrating how to use the Charge & Shield Faraday Bag
Charge & Shield Faraday Bag Features
- Military-grade faraday bag designed to keep a cell phone, tablet, or similar device powered and shielded from RF signals
- The system allows a device to remain live and uncorrupted after seizure, until it can be transferred to a faraday forensic box for interrogation or data extraction
- Prevents lockout mode and reduces the amount of time needed to break a passcode, enabling the maximum amount of data extraction and unlocking with tools like GrayKey, Cellebrite, XRY, BlackBag, Oxygen, etc.
- USB filter through the bag allows the user to easily switch from a power source to extraction tool when needed
- Large transparent window to view signal cutoff and device status
- NeoLok closure system consisting of a double roll with a magnetic seal, plus quick-snap closure strap (safe for use with conductive gloves)
- Two layers of high-shielding interior fabric on all sides with dual paired seam construction (a.k.a "quad-layer")
- Blocks WiFi (2.4 & 5GHz), Bluetooth, cell signals (4G LTE+), GPS, RFID, and radio signals with 60dB-80dB average attenuation
- 5th Gen device shielding assurance
- Every bag includes a unique serial number
- Closable pocket on back to place evidence card or agency information
- Water-resistant ballistic nylon outer materials
- Comprehensive charging cable kit included (two options available for each bag size, select preferred style from the drop-down menu
- The bag is available in tablet size and phone size and is large enough to accommodate most device models
- Designed to fit inside the Mission Darkness Blocker Locker 7 cabinet
Included in Each Charge & Shield Faraday Bag Kit
- Charge & Shield Faraday Bag with transparent window, dual sided USB filter, card pocket, and zipper compartment to hold charging cables
- Carrying case to hold Charge & Shield Faraday Bag plus accompanying accessories when not in use
- Instruction card for proper usage
- USB A/M to A/M cable (1 meter)
- Variety of phone charging cables (lightning, micro USB, USB-C, and USB extension)
- "Go Kit" charging cable add-on includes a dual USB car charger adapter and a dual port 12W wall charger
Can be Used with the Mission Darkness Blocker Locker 7
Charge & Shield Faraday Bags are perfectly sized to fit in each locker compartment of the Mission Darkness Blocker Locker 7 - Charge & Shield Evidence Cabinet. The cabinet comes with seven phone size Charge & Shield Faraday Bags plus all necessary charging components. Each locker compartment includes two power receptacles and a unique outer lock. The bag can be removed from the evidence locker and transferred to the lab without compromising RF shielding. Up to two Charge & Shield Faraday Bags can fit in each locker compartment. Purchase additional Charge & Shield Faraday Bags (available in phone or tablet size) to support more devices in the cabinet, or to use for you own evidence locker system or RF shielding needs.
- Click the link below to view the Blocker Locker product page
Bag Size & Charging Cable Kit Options
Components included with the Charge & Shield Faraday Bag "Go Kit"
*See the comparison chart below for the complete list of included components
Phone Size - Charge & Shield Faraday Bag
- Inside usable dimensions: 12.5" x 9" - universal fit for all cell phone models
- SKU: MDBL-CS-S (phone bag with standard charging cable kit included)
- SKU: MDBL-CS-S-GO (phone bag with Go Kit - bonus charging components included)
Tablet Size - Charge & Shield Faraday Bag
- Inside usable dimensions: 13" x 11" - universal fit for all tablet models
- SKU: MDBL-CS-M (tablet bag with standard charging cable kit included)
- SKU: MDBL-CS-M-GO (tablet bag with Go Kit - bonus charging components included)
Charging Cable Kit Differences
- The "Standard Kit" is perfect if you only want to increase the Blocker Locker capacity and don't need to charge devices in different locations
- Upgrade to a "Go Kit" if your officers need power while transporting a device in a vehicle or at a desk
- The "Go Kit" includes the same items as the "Standard Kit" plus additional charging components (dual USB car charger adapter and dual port 12W wall charger)
Front side of the bag showing the large transparent window to view battery life and device status
Back side of the bag showing the outer USB filter, pockets, and charging cables included with the "Standard Kit"
Charge & Shield Faraday Bag Usage Steps
1) Insert Device in a Charge & Shield Faraday Bag
Once a device is received in the field or at the police station, the officer places it inside the Charge & Shield Faraday Bag. The corresponding cable tip provided in the bag's zipper pocket is used to connect the device to the bag's inner USB port. The bag is then sealed using the NeoLok™ magnetic closure.
2) Connect the Bag to Power
The officer connects the shielded USB A/M to A/M cable to the bag's outer USB port and to a power source. Device status can be confirmed by viewing the screen through the bag's transparent window.
3) Keep the Device in a Secure Location
Keep the sealed bag in a secure location while the device inside is being charged indefinitely. If using with the Blocker Locker, lock the cabinet and place the key in the dropbox.
4) Transfer for Data Extraction
At the point when passcode breaking or data extraction is to occur, the individual handling the evidence disconnects the bag from the power source and transfers the sealed bag to the lab or location where it will be analyzed. The user can connect an extraction tool directly to the outer USB filter, or easily open the bag inside of a forensic box.
*Further steps vary depending on the usage scenario (see below)
How to Use with GrayKey
The Charge & Shield Faraday Bag can be transferred to an RF shielded room or faraday forensic box for use with unlocking tools like GrayKey.
- If using with a forensic box like the Mission Darkness BlockBox Lab, place the GrayKey unit inside the box and connect it to the inner RJ45 ethernet port.
- Insert the Charge & Shield Faraday Bag carrying the device into the box and close the lid.
- Place hands in the conductive gloves and open the Charge & Shield Faraday Bag. The NeoLok magnetic closure is easy to open inside the box and reduces faraday glove abrasion (compared to Velcro closure bags).
- Once the device is removed from the bag, connect it to GrayKey and use the tool as directed.
Interior view of the BlockBox Lab with RJ45 showing how GrayKey and corresponding cables connect to cell phones inside
How to Transfer a Device from a Standard Faraday Bag to a Charge & Shield Faraday Bag
- If a device arrives to the police station already in a standard faraday bag, it can be transferred to a Charge & Shield Faraday Bag using a forensic box with hands-on access. Simply place both bags inside, close the lid, and transfer the device using the conductive gloves. Faraday bags with a NeoLok magnetic closure are preferred when being handled by conductive gloves.